Pilgrimage Walk 2018
A sincere THANK YOU to all who joined in our Pilgrimage Walk in October.
About 90 participants came together in prayer and song, starting out in St. Joseph’s Chapel of the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe and then walked out through the campus of Maryville Academy. Before they went out they were asked to think about what items they would bring along if they were leaving home permanently, as do so many migrants and especially refugees, and to think about this as they walked along. At three stations they stopped to hear the stories of three persons who had left their homeland and the difficulties that went with that life-changing decision. The pilgrims ended their walk at the Shrine with prayer and song. All they were truly in solidarity with our brothers and sisters that morning.
In addition to those who walked in Des Plaines, 11 “pilgrims”, even from as far away as New Orleans, joined in spirit off-site since they could not be physically present. They added another 50 miles to the 90 miles we walked on our journey.
The journey doesn’t end there. And folks who missed the pilgrimage can still join in solidarity, whether alone in your heart, or in organized programs and actions anywhere in the country. You can:
- Lift your voices in support of migrants and refugees by engaging your members of Congress;
- Write a letter to the editor to support policies that assist refugees and migrants worldwide;
- Encourage your community to support refugees and migrants in other ways;
- Be in touch with advocacy groups, e.g. cliniclegal.org/resources;
- Continue to hold our brothers and sisters in prayer; include prayer to St. Frances Cabrini, patroness of immigrants.
And To Our Sponsors…
Thank you to all who promoted and supported the Pilgrimage Walk 2018:
Sponsors / Partners
Click on logo for sponsor website